Taking Care of Your Mental Health
One important area of our lives is the area of our mental health. Managing your mental health properly is one of the most important keys to healthy living.
Most people do not know this hence they do not take care of their mental health. This begs the question, how can one take care of his/her mental health?
There are several ways to take care of your mental health and they include:
1) Value yourself
The level of self-worth or self-esteem you have, affects your mental health greatly. Try to treat yourself well and avoid self-condemning thoughts. This will go a long way to increase your self-worth.
2) Take care of your body
Apart from valuing yourself through your thoughts you should take care of your body physically. This improves your mental health greatly.
Eat good meals, avoid things like cigarettes and alcohol. Also, you should drink lots of water, exercise and get enough sleep.
3) Stay among good people
The people you interact with has a lot to contribute to your mental health. Stay with people who have a good heart, who support you and people who have goodwill towards you like family and friends.
This helps you to take care of your mental health.
4) Give your time and resources
Giving is very important, give your time and resources. Join volunteer groups and help people, this will make you feel good about yourself and your ability to help others.
It’s a way to build your self-worth and self-esteem
5) Handle Stress Properly
Stress is part of life, you cannot exist without being stressed. However, it is how you handle it that is important. Try to minimize the stress you go through, also take up stress management strategies like Tai Chi, taking a walk in the park and all that. Also, learn to smile and make jokes.
These are some ways you can take care of your mental health. If you are living in Malaysia, you would agree that the incidence of depression is on the rise. Most people do not even know they are depressed because they are not conversant with the signs and symptoms of depression.
So how do you identify depression? What are the symptoms of depression?
- Feeling of hopelessness and helplessness. The individual feels as though he is at the end of the road without hope and help in this world.
- Losing interest in normal activities. The person does not care about hobbies or hanging out anymore. No ability to feel joyful or happy.
- Loss of appetite. This can lead to weight loss too and the person ends up looking skinny.
- Sleep pattern changes. The person loses sleep or starts oversleeping.
- At some point the individual feels angry and irritated. Traces of restlessness and violence. The person becomes short-tempered.
- Self-hate, the person loathes himself and condemns himself. Feeling worthless and guilty.
- Suicidal thoughts. It gets so bad that the person can contemplate suicide.
These are the signs of depression, as it progresses it can get more dangerous and complicated. So how does one cope with depression? Well, there are ways you can handle depression.
- Meet other people. Depression feeds on isolation. You should go out to friends and family, avoid isolation and learn to talk to someone.
- Engage in an activity. Most times when depression comes you don’t even feel like getting out of bed but you have to get up and engage in an activity. Exercise, take a walk. Just do something, it helps.
- Eat good meals. You should reduce intake of meals that affect your mood negatively like alcohol, caffeine and others. Rather eat good meals rich in mood-boosting nutrients like Omega-3 fatty acids.